Why? Because they are the most know and most demanded exams in Spain, and because we’ve noticed many teachers do not have enough information about them. Through these articles, we hope to help with that.
We will start from the beginning, the lower levels (you can read more about the levels on the post about CEFR).
Cambridge English Young Learners Exams (YLE) are a set of three exams which serve as an introduction to the English language for children. They are designed for kids and to make them work efficiently all the fours skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
The exams are:
- Starters (Pre A1). The first step of the road for kids in their journey towards being proficient in English. It consists of 3 papers (Reading and Writing, Listening and Speaking) and lasts around 45 minutes. Paper based and computer based.
There is no pass or fail. Students receive a certificate with a series of shields (1 to 5 on each paper). A result of 10 or more shields means the student is ready to prepare the next exam.
- Movers (A1). The A1 exam for children. 3 papers and takes about 1 hour to complete. Again you get no pass or fail but shield on each skill ranging from 1 to 5. And if you get more than 10 shields in this exam you are ready for the next step.
- Flyers (A2). The third and last of the YLE exams. It consists of 3 papers and lasts about 1 hour 15 minutes. Again if follows the shields grading method and with 10 or more they should go on to prepare the Key (Ket) exam.
We would like to provide some resources for teachers teaching the YLE exams.
- World of Fun. A website created as a source of tips, resources and material for teachers who work with the Young Learners Exams.
- Sing and Learn. Videos for Young Learners.
- Games and Social Media.
- Activities for children.
- Starters Preparation material.
- Starters Vocabulary list.
- Starters FAQ.
- Starters speaking demo.
- Movers Preparation material.
- Movers Vocabulary List.
- Movers FAQ.
- Movers speaking demo.
- Flyers Preparation material.
- Flyers FAQ.
- Flyers Vocabulary List.
- Flyers speaking demo.